Monday, May 9, 2016

Movie Review: Captain America Civil War

I saw Captain America Civil War Saturday night and it was Amazing! Ya know what else was amazing? Spiderman! I'll get back to everyone's favorite web slinger but first allow me to congratulate Cap, he has done something no other Super hero has been able to accomplish, have 3 films that have each been better than the previous! Think about it, Christopher Reeves Superman, Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man, The first 3 X-Men movies, Even Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy! None of them were able to do what Chris Evens Captain America has done.
I remember writing the review for Captain America: The First Avenger and saying how surprised I was at how much I enjoyed it, now 5 years later I'm writing to say, I expected a great Captain America movie and I got perhaps the greatest movie in the MCU to date...no pressure Star Lord.
Is it necessary to have seen the previous CA and Avengers films to understand/ appreciate Civil War? Not entirely...the Russo Bros cleverly use the Sokovia Accords conference with General Ross to recap previous events but also set the stage for the events in Civil War.
In order to fully appreciate all aspects of Civil War I recommend seeing the first two Captain America movies as well as both of The Avengers movies and the three Iron man movies and maybe a bit of the TV series Agent Carter.
There were two notable Avengers absent from the action, Thor and Hulk, I'm fairly certain we will find out why Thor was not around in Thor: Ragnarok. As far as Dr Banner is concerned maybe he'll make an appearance in Ragnarok also.
In their absence we are treated with the introduction of Black Panther played by Chadwick  Boseman, I thought he did a great job with the role and the costume looked badass. But what enhanced ability does Black Panther have? Super Speed and Agility and a full Vibranium suit?
And the second new recruit to the MCU is Spider-Man! And I have to agree with so many early screening comments he was Amazing, during the Airport showdown Spidey brought the comic relief and also proved he had what it takes to play with the big boys coughAntmancough! Tom Holland was terrific as Peter Parker and nailed it in the scene where he meets Tony Stark. Speaking of that scene, I have a question....Marissa Tomey, for reasons I cannot comprehend I still haven't seen Dead Pool but does this mean Peter Parkers Aunt May is also Dead Pools girl?
The one thing that the MCU has had trouble with has been the Villians, yeah Ultron was no where near as badass as Marvels animated films and series like Avengers Assemble so how did the villian in Civil War fare? Well there's actually two, Baron Zemo (Daniel Bruhl) and Crossbones (Frank Grillo), Crossbones is basically reduced to a plot device, the true villian is Baron Zemo, even if his motive was simply revenge his methods were diabolical! I'm putting Zemo up there with Loki as one of my favorite bad guys in the MCU so far.
I also want to mention that Elizabeth Olsen (Wanda Maximoff/ Scarlet Witch) and Paul Bettany (Vision) seemed much more comfortable in this movie versus Avengers: AoU. Unfortunately Civil War reconfirms my opinion that AoU was made as a bridge between phase 2 and phase 3.
Captain America: Civil War is an awesome movie, I loved it from start to finish and phase 3 of the MCU has hit the ground running! 2017 is going to be insane with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok, and Black Panther!
So do your Civil Duty and go see Captain America Civil War!
A+

No comments:

Post a Comment