Saturday, May 4, 2013

Movie Review: Iron Man 3

IM3 starts with Tony Stark partying like it's 1999,  and he's partyin' like a Gatsby!
Fast forward to the present, a few months after the events in NYC and Tony is suffering from serious insomnia and anxiety.
Pepper is runnin' Stark industries like a boss and Happy bein' promoted as the senior manager of Human Resources where he proposes outsourcing Human resources to robots had me laughing. IM3 has plenty of quirky humor throughout and feels more lighthearted than IM2 but is also well balanced  and has plenty of serious undertones.
Guy Pearce was amazing as Killian, and in my opinion eclipsed Mickey Rourke's Ivan Vanko. I found Pearce's character, Killian to be quite similar to Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer but much much more competent and intelligent.
Which brings me to The Mandarin played by Ben Kingsley, Kingsley's portrayal of the Mandarin was amazing....now I never read the Iron Man comics as a kid but BK's Mandarin performance was equivalent to Heath Ledgers Joker in TDK until M. Night Shamalamadingdong apparently got a hold of the script! Like I said I never read the Iron Man comics and didn't know anything about the Mandarin but when I found out he was gonna be in IM3 I did my due diligence and researched the character. Lets just put it this way comic book fans are TRASHING what Marvney did to the Mandarin and I have to admit they blew an opportunity with what they did.
I'd also like to point out that Joe movie goer that doesn't know shit about the Mandarin will see Kingsley's Mandarin and automatically see Osama Bin Laden NOT a son of a Chinese Billionaire that finds ancient alien tech and the 10 rings of power and is hell bent on world domination.
And maybe it's just me but William Sadler as President Ellis had an uncanny resemblance to George W. Bush and the location for the final fight in IM3 had me wondering if Marvney was trying to make some sort of political statement and then there was that one comment Stark makes when someone yells "hey it's a free country!" and his response was "sure it is".....those things really jumped out at me while watching IM3.
Don Cheadle's Rhodey felt more like Robin to Batman than Tony Starks buddy defending the world from a terrorist in Iron Man armor. But Cheadle's a good actor and did a good job with the roll regardless of the screen time.
I may be of the unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed Gwyneth Paltrow's performance in IM3,  Pepper rocking the IM armor....hawt. There are gonna be those that won't like the scene at the end between Pepper and Killian but I enjoyed it and it reminded me of the only good thing in Xmen3....Famke Janssen becoming Dark Pheonix at the end of X3.
And lastly I enjoyed the chemistry between RDJ and Ty Simpkins who plays Harley, Harley reminded me of Tony Stark's version of Short Round from IJatToD.
All in all I enjoyed IM3 more than IM2, some great action scenes like the attack on Starks home, and the Air Force One rescue, Ben Kingsley's performance as the Mandarin was amazing and I can't fault him for what happens in the second half of the movie.
Guy Pearce once again impressed me as Killian, he seems to shine in rolls where he plays an ambiguous villain, but once he reveals his true nature in IM3 there was no mistaking his affinity!
The extremis soldiers worked well as a plot device but seemed like extraordinarily power zombies with the ability to control spontaneous combustion.....umm did AIM unwittingly create a regenerative power supply and not realize it?
Iron Man 3 is a fun start to the 2013 summer movies, if you go in with zero expectations and/or pre conceived notions of how the Mandarin should be based on the comic books you'll enjoy the movie.
IM3 is better than IM2 but not IM1
B


No comments:

Post a Comment